Monday, June 23, 2008

Are You Going to Eat That?

Food envy can be a nasty thing. Fortunately, I’m only just now starting to get it. Take yesterday for example. My parents made pancakes for breakfast and ate them in front of me. There was real maple syrup, fresh squeezed orange juice, blueberries and strawberries. At lunchtime they held me there in front of the roasted pig at the neighborhood BBQ, picked out choice parts, sides, and then sat me on the table to watch them eat once again. Dinner was at the Greek Festival. They had gyros, stuffed grape leaves, spanikopita, saganaki, paximadia, and baklava. They ate all of this over the course of a couple hours in front of me! Is there any wonder why I drool so much?

We have talked it over and we’ve decided that I am to occasionally get to try some solid foods. They see no reason to put my food in a blender, as I don’t quite have the coordination to move solid food from the front of my mouth to the back for swallowing. They told me that that I should make the transition to solid foods gradually and that I’m to try to stay on breast milk for as long as possible. I was also “informed” that I had to meet four criteria before they would do more then hold a piece of watermelon in my mouth for me to gum on. So before I get any solid foods I have be able to hold my head in a steady, and upright position, and sit without support. The other two things, eating at regular intervals and being interested in what they are eating, I soooo have down.

No comments: