Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Sleep Travel

Last night I went to sleep at home in Anderson, South Carolina and woke up several hundred miles away at Grandpa David's house in Holden Beach, North Carolina. Since I can remember, the same mysterious night time travel has happened my whole life - becoming more frequent around the holidays. I can even recall falling asleep in Atlanta, Georgia only to be woken up disembarking a plane on a small island in the Caribbean.

I don't know how this is possible, or if it happens to everyone, but it is both exciting and scary. Suppose that I overslept, would I wake up on Europa? Or if I woke too soon, could I end up stuck in between two places that didn't quite exist yet?

So far, all of my travel has been interesting, to say the least. It's quite nice to have involuntary vacations thrust upon me. Maybe it's my subconscious’s way of telling me that I need a break. Or maybe it is a mutation or deformity that will become uncontrollable with age. Either way, I enjoy my sleep travel and hope that it keeps sending me places that are fun and new.

No comments: